Saturday, January 23, 2010

7 Layer Casserole

I have had a request for this recipe - a classic family casserole recipe. Enjoy!

7 Layer Casserole

Into a small enamel roaster or 8-10 inch casserole dish layer the following ingredients .
Start with:
1 lb. browned hamburger
1 large sliced onion
1/4 cup uncooked rice (sprinkle over meat and onion)
4-5 sliced carrots
5-6 sliced potatoes
1-2 cups frozen peas
Salt and pepper to taste
1 tin tomato soup, diluted with 1 tin water. Pour over casserole. There should be enough liquid in the casserole so you can see it about 1/2 to 3/4 inches below the level of the vegetables.

Bake at 350 degrees for 1-1/2 hrs. Cover for the first 45 min., then uncover for the remaining time.

As with all casseroles,this recipe can be made as large as you need. If you make a large casserole, use 2 cans tomato soup.

3 comments:

  1. My mom used to make this almost exact same dish - but sausages instead of the hamburger meat. Used to be the best in the winter, always looked forward to it! I will have to try it for sure, I remember the leftovers just got better and better!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My mom makes some really good casseroles. My brother teases her that they are "1940's cooking" but he sure eats them up when they are on the table! She also makes a French Fry Casserole (its like a burger and fries all in one).

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well Red - I just read this recipe to hubby, and he thought "that sounds delicious". I then told him I used to make it years ago - and we've now decided to make 7 layer casserole together this week. (he does more of the cooking than I do!) I did 98% of the cooking the first 16 of our 37 1/2 yrs of marriage - only fair right? lol (I'll get healthy and busy again!)

    ReplyDelete