Monday, August 23, 2010

Garden Roundup




I had some time tonight to spend in the garden. The raised garden beds have been very productive this year - especially the peppers! My hubby loves his peppers and he wanted to try growing a variety this year. We harvested ancho chilis, habanero peppers, banana peppers, jalapenos, and bell peppers. Thank goodness the rabbits don't have a taste for peppers! I'll be turning the bell peppers into tomato sauce and freezing for stir fry veg and pickling the jalapenos and banana peppers. I am at a loss of what to do with the anchos and habaneros. Friends have suggested to try to dry the anchos and then grind up to put in chili etc. If you have suggestions, please share!


Yellow banana peppers, dark green anchos, light green jalapenos

I also grew six different varieties of tiny tomatoes - Juliet (grape tomato), Yellow Pear, Tumbler, Sunsugar (I think they are called), Sweet 100 and Sweet Million. I plan on making sun dried tomatoes with some of the small ones and of course they are perfect for snacking on or for bruschetta! I planted all of these in containers hanging in baskets or on the deck. It's been a bumper crop!




I also have several varietes in my garden (Manitoba, Celebrity, Roma, Fantastic, Early Girl). Maybe a few more - I forget now! The rabbits have been eating the ripe tomatoes so unfortunately no vine ripened tomatoes for me this summer. I have been picking them in at the first site of orange! I will spite those rabbits if it is the death of me!


The cucumber corner is full with cukes too - slicing, pickling and long english.


Tomorrow my mom is coming over and we will get to pickling the bounty! The beets have been pickled already - yum! Love pickled beets!

No comments:

Post a Comment